Think about this. Do people live to become Saints or do they become Saints because of the way they live? Either way, this status will become a reality for Fulton J. Sheen soon and I thought it would be rather fun to look back and see what he said about the lives of the Saints himself.
- If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you behave
- Far better it is for you to say: "I am a sinner," than to say: "I have no need of religion." The empty can be filled, but the self-intoxicated have no room for God.
- When a child is given to his parents, a crown is made for that child in Heaven, and woe to the parents who raise a child without consciousness of that eternal crown!
- Nothing ever happens in the world that does not happen first inside human hearts.
- Broadmindedness, when it means indifference to right and wrong, eventually ends in a hatred of what is right.
- The principle of democracy is a recognition of the sovereign, inalienable rights of man as a gift from God, the Source of law.
- There are two ways of waking up in the morning. One is to say, 'Good morning, God,' and the other is to say, 'Good God, morning'!
- The old liberal rebelled against taxation without responsibility, the new liberal wants the taxation as a handout without responsibility.
- Communism is an aggressive religion of the species
You know it is very odd that today many younger members of society have not witnessed the evils of Communism and embraced the concepts that political people have been saying about Communism and Socialism.
There are clearly interesting aspects of both that could appeal to the young in our society. Do you want to pay for others all of your life? The answer becomes, “Clearly I do not want too.” Well, that is something that these political people are using and exploiting. Without anything to go against or the ability to weigh their comments, people are excepting these as being true. Unfortunately, this is not the case and it is not even close.
These people pull you into believing what they are saying through such political speech like social justice. They complain about the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. They try to turn this into a discussion of this world not the next. Why?
Why? That is an important question because we have always had rich people and in fact over the past several decades- we now have many more people who have become rich. Is our problem too many rich people? Is our problem too many people? Is our problem too many poor people? Or is our problem that we are worrying about the wrong things?
By simply changing our direction from this world to the next, we can see our problems are not what the political people are saying they are. We are not supposed to have heaven on earth. Our goal is not to live our life forever here or to live in the now forever our goal has been and should always remain to have goals toward the hereafter. Communism and Socialism offer social justice. Do not be fooled. They are not worried about the hereafter because according to them there is no such place. This is the essential element of Bishop Sheen’s attacks against Communism all throughout his life. People who give into the here and now for a short reward will find they greatly short-changed themselves in the hereafter. Would you change five dollars today for a million dollars tomorrow?
So do not be fooled by the silver-tongued people who appear to have the interests of the here and now over the goals we have in the hereafter. Brothers and Sisters we are not in a sprint we are in a marathon and God is not worried about right now He is worried about our eternal soul. Praise be to God always. Do not look away or turn away from what you know to be true. This is how to live a worthy life and this is how to become a Saint.