The ISM´s Of Today's Society
Bishop Sheen in his book, Communism And The Conscience Of The West, 1948, stated:
"The one idea in this book is that the philosophy of communism and to some extent the Revolution of Communism is on the conscience of the Western world." Bishop Sheen predicts a new age and transformation of the Church: "[Satan] will set up a counter church which will be the ape of the [Catholic] Church. . . . It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content."
At heart, the Anti-Christ is the ruler of this world. The false prophet teaches a religion that is only of this world.
All the world’s systems and false religions combine to convince us of this fact. Here are some of the Anti-Christ systems of thought prevalent in our culture today:
- Materialism: There is no other world. This is it. Your life and your worth are measured in the materials you own. The richer the better. Since there is no life past this one-you should spend all your time on this earth making money to obtain more material things
- Scientism only scientifically tested knowledge is valid. This concept relies on science to get us out of all troubles and to have science explain the unexplainable to everyone. The problem is that science is not an explanation it is a process to come up with a theory.
- Historicism there is no over-arching providence. History is random. This does not happen just because they have happened before. This concept deeply cuts into people learning more about their history on how the past impacts the future.
- Evolutionism the natural world develops at random. There is no divine plan. Sometimes confused with science. Out of the mid-19th-century evolution became embedded in our society. People were taught that humans were created by accident and everything came together like we see today over a very long period of time.
- Utilitarianism what works is all that matters. Efficiency and economy are our gods. Very popular at the turn of the 20th century and again in the mid 20th century. Time motion studies, time on task studies and the concept time is money and you should not waste it. Works with the concept that group is important not the individual. The greatest good for the greatest amount of people is important here.
- Rationalism there is no such thing as Revelation. Your reasoning power is your only access to truth. You believe things you can physically see or experience.
- Sentimentalism your feelings are your only guide because there is no objective truth. You judge the value of something on how you feel about something.
- Moral Relativism there is no great Law. Therefore you may do as you wish. In fact, this is the motto of diabolism: “Do as you Will.” There are no overriding superior values in the world. You can not interject your values as better than anyone else.
Many people today have not heard anything about Bishop Fulton Sheen. Now thirty years after his death we are trying to relook at some of the things that Bishop Sheen wrote about and apply it to today’s society. When watching for the Anti-Christ we should be careful not to become too obsessed with one particular historical or contemporary figure. To be sure, there will be an Anti Christ one day who seeks to take over the world and there will be his prophet who is a religious leader who seeks to deceive people with a fake system of spirituality.
Therefore studying the systems that the Anti-Christ would use becomes very important. Note, that systems have been in place for centuries but in today’s world these systems reach more people faster than ever before in history. This creates the ability of an Anti-Christ to pull the wool over people’s eyes today like no other period in the past.
Bishop Sheen explained, “ How will he come in this new age to win followers to his religion? The pre-Communist Russian belief is that he will come disguised as the Great Humanitarian; he will talk peace, prosperity and plenty not as means to lead us to God, but as ends in themselves.”
With social media, the Internet, TV and all other forms of communications at his fingertips- the Anti-Christ has more weapons today to secure followers. He will promise prosperity for all and many people will believe him, they will offer their prosperity in the future for a quick return now.
However, as Bishop Sheen explained, “How will he come in this new age to win followers to his religion? The pre-Communist Russian belief is that he will come. disguised as the Great Humanitarian; he will talk peace, prosperity and plenty not as means to lead us to God, but as ends in themselves. Because his religion will be the brotherhood of Man without the fatherhood of God, he will deceive even the elect. He will set up a counter church which will be the ape of the Church, because he, the Devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the Antichrist that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. . . .”
Today we see that Bishop Sheen’s comments 72 years ago are still relevant today. We will not be surprised when the Anti-Christ comes because we are now aware of what he is going to say.