Bishop Fulton Sheen explained it this way, “History reveals that never has there been any tyranny, never has there been any slavery, in that country where there has been a wide distribution of property. But wherever you find a refusal to allow a man to own or co-own the things on which he works, as you find for example in the Soviet Union, there you find tyranny, there you find despotism, there you find slavery. Wherever there is property there is power. Wherever there is property there is a sense of responsibility. Hence what we would like to see is a great wider diffusion of property. So that a man will own his own home. Man will own in some way at least, co-own the place where he works. He can have a responsibility therefore, toward that industry, and feel himself free. Free on the inside because he has an immortal soul, and free on the outside simply because he is responsible in the place where he works. This is freedom, this is the responsibility, this is Democracy!"
Democracy is key because it allows individual responsibility.
Democracy is key because heaven is a collective place but we reach heaven individually.
Would we or will we reach heaven if act immorally or are not responsible here on earth?
Now that I have your attention, you have figured out Bishop Fulton Sheen. He was upset with Socialism and Communism not solely because of what they promised but what they delivered. Communism upon first hearing it sounds wonderful to many people. They promise heaven on earth. They promise this but they deliver something way different. They put your soul into slavery and in place where you do not want to travel.
In this election year be mindful of what the people who are running for office are saying
- Free College
- No guns
- No Charter Schools
- Free Health Care
- Tax The Wealthy
- Tax Churches
- Complete Separation of Church and State
- Abolish The Electoral College
All of these should help the middle and lower class families correct?
Well, nothing could be further from the truth.
- Free College- you are now paying for others through your taxes if you go to college or not.
- No Guns- strict gun laws take 2nd amendment rights- what rights will be next?
- Charter Schools actually help the motivated low middle class and poorer people with providing them with an excellent alternative to poor public schools
- Free health care. Takes away the choice of the patient and doctor. May actually raise the price of health care considerably.
- Tax the wealthy is just old fashion logic that does not work in our society. Taxes are not paid by the wealthy and their wealth was created out of the capital market.
- Tax Churches- only the people who would go to Church would come from the people going to that Church. Which makes any loss would require more and more creative funds.
- Today- society looks at Christianity in name only or culturally Christian nation.
- The Electoral College helps us not hurts us. It assures that the winning candidate has popularity spread out all over the nation.
Democracy is not the same as mob rule. What protects our democracy here in the United States is the fact that we have the U.S. Constitution and our rights are guaranteed. Our rights, if violated, can be addressed with legal action. Unlike many countries around the world, we have a great deal more freedom to do what we would like to do. However, with this freedom comes responsibility. We must study the issues and vote for the best people for the country- the person who promises us the best deal.
Brothers and Sisters, our connection to this world is limited and should be dedicated to Jesus Christ. He will help us get to the next world. This is the world that is important. This is the world that will last forever. This is why we are really here on this earth. Let us not lose focus on the facts.
Bishop Sheen had this exact idea in mind when he said, “Patience is power.
Patience is not an absence of action; rather it is "timing" it waits on the right time to act, for the right principles and in the right way.”
Let us make sure that we develop this type of patience. We practice this type of patience and more importantly understand exactly what we are doing on this earth and where we want to go in the next world. Then and only then we will act accordingly.