It’s January and notoriously a time when we all want to get back in shape. Naturally, fitness centers are filled with people who want to get physically fit.
Now I’m really into physical fitness, but recognize that it isn’t the only type of fitness we need as Catholics for a healthy and happy life. We also need to be spiritually fit and in right relationship with God. We need to be people with consistent prayer lives, who are centered in God’s Word and commit to ongoing conversion.
For that reason, in addition to whatever fitness goals you have for this year, consider boosting your spiritual fitness. For example:
- Have you been reading and reflecting on God’s Word?
- Do you have opportunities to better live the Gospel in word and deed?
- Could you grow in or expand the depth of your prayer?
- Would you benefit from spiritual direction?
- Should you pursue opportunities to minister to or serve others in your parish or community?
- Do you need to focus on your family more?
- Do you have opportunities to learn more about your faith or spirituality?
- How is your relationship with God? Could it improve and in what ways?
- Do you need to repent and convert from any behaviors that aren’t glorifying God?
- Are there any important life changes or decisions you need to discern with God’s help?
Remember that fitness of any kind requires consistent habits and changes in your lifestyle for transformation. The same is true in the spiritual life, so choose one or two areas of the spiritual life and take some small, consistent steps this year. Then watch what God does to your spiritual fitness and strength!