On March 25, the Holy Father Pope Francis will consecrate Russia and Ukraine to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The Ukrainian Archbishop has requested Catholics to join in a worldwide novena to Our Lady prior to the consecration. The novena would begin today, March 17, and end with the consecration of Russia and Ukraine to Our Lady.
Our Lady of Fatima appeared to three children (Lucia Santos, Blessed Jacinta Marto, and Blessed Francisco Marto) on July 13, 1917, and requested Russia be consecrated to her Immaculate Heart for the end of the war and peace. She warned if Russia was not consecrated that they would continue to “spread its errors throughout the world, promoting wars and persecution of the Church.”
Ukrainian Archbishop Mieczyslaw Mokrzychik of Lviv, Ukraine, has requested a novena from Catholics around the world to be prayed beginning March 17, leading up to the consecration of Russia and Ukraine.
Since Our Lady told the three shepherd children to pray the rosary daily, the novena should include praying the rosary each day. Additionally, she requested each mystery or decade of the Rosary end with the prayer: ‘O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of Hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need of Thy mercy. Amen.”
The novena should include praying the rosary and, in unity with prayers for an end to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the novena should specifically include those intentions. Here is a recommended prayer for the novena, along with specific intentions for each day:
“In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen
O Most Holy Virgin Mary, you came to Fatima to reveal the graces that come from praying the Holy Rosary to three little shepherd children. You requested Russia be consecrated to your Immaculate Heart and Most Gracious Virgin, as the Holy Father consecrates Russia and Ukraine to your Immaculate Heart, may you inspire us all with a sincere love of this devotion of praying the Holy Rosary and praying for Russia and Ukraine. It is not a burdensome task to pray, but a source of life. May our prayers and meditations on the mysteries of the Holy Rosary bring us closer to your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
Like the children of Fatima, we want to bring God’s word to others. Give us the strength, O Lord, to overcome our doubts so that we may be messengers of the Gospel. We know that Jesus lives in our hearts, and we receive Him in the Eucharist. May we be a vessel which He pours forth His love to others all over the world.
Lord Jesus, the miracles, prophecies, and prayers that Your Mother brought to us at Fatima amazed the whole world and still captivate hearts today. We are certain of her closeness to You, and we ask, through the intercession of Our Lady of Fatima that you graciously hear and answer our prayers, especially for the protection of Ukraine, an end of the war and Russian invasion of Ukraine, and for peace in Europe.
Our Lady of Fatima, pray for us!
Our Lady of the Rosary, pray for us!
Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!
-“From famine and war, deliver us O Lord we pray.” (DAY 1)
-“From nuclear war, from incalculable self-destruction, from every kind of war, deliver us O Lord we pray” (DAY 2)
- “From sins against the life of man, specifically that of war, which result in homelessness, hunger, poverty, and displacement, deliver us O Lord we pray.” (DAY 3)
- “From hatred, destruction, and attacks on the dignity of people, deliver us O Lord we pray.” (DAY 4)
- “From every kind of injustice perpetuated during this Russian invasion of Ukraine, deliver us O Lord we pray.” (DAY 5)
- “From indifference by international communities, countries, and government leaders which result in loss of life, poverty, suffering, and death, deliver us O Lord we pray” (DAY 6)
- “From attempts to stifle truth, communication, and information to the people of Russia and allow them to form their own beliefs, deliver us O Lord we pray” (DAY 7)
- “From the loss of awareness of good and evil, deliver us O Lord we pray” (DAY 8)
- “From the victory of evil desires, evil plans, demonic activity, and sins against the Holy Spirit, specifically in Russia and Ukraine, deliver us O Lord we pray” (DAY 9)
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen”