In How They Love Mary: Lessons I Learned from Holy Men and Women Along the Way by Fr. Edward Looney. Sophia Institute Press (Manchester, NH, 2022). 240 pp., $18.95.
Would you like to honor the Blessed Mother and grow in sanctity? In How They Love Mary: Lessons I Learned from Holy Men and Women Along the Way, Fr. Edward Looney reflects upon how his devotion to Our Lady has developed since childhood.
Benedict Neenan, Abbot of Conception Abbey, Conception, Missouri, explained, “Fr. Looney uses a structure that includes his own experience and spirit-led pilgrimage into deeper devotion to Mary to persuade the reader that it is a journey anyone can make, and everyone should at least try."
In each chapter, he relates Marian devotion through fascinating stories in the lives of saints and models of virtue, and offers everyday ways that we can imitate them. Also contained are the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary, common prayers and litanies to Our Lady.
Fr. Edward Looney is a member of the Mariological Society of America. He has published numerous books and articles on Our Lady and contributes regularly to Relevant Radio’s Morning Air.
This book will help you renew your devotion to our Blessed Mother through the example of 30 saints and other holy souls, including:
· St. Therese of Lisieux, healed when Our Lady smiled at her, had child-like devotion to Mary
· St. Padre Pio prayed 30 Rosaries daily, was healed by Our Lady, and had visions of her
· St. Francis of Assisi rebuilt Our Lady’s Church and wrote the Salutation to the Blessed Virgin
· St. Kateri Tekakwitha imitated Mary’s life as a virgin and offered prayers to our Blessed Mother
· St. Faustina had several mystical experiences of Mary and entrusted the mission of mercy to her
· St. Bernard, inspired author on Our Lady, reminded souls to turn to Mother Mary in all things
· St. Damien of Molokai promoted the scapular and often prayed the Holy Rosary for the dead
· St. Ignatius of Loyola confided in Our Lady and wrote about her in The Spiritual Exercises
· St. Thomas Aquinas affirmed the perpetual virginity of Mary and wrote a consecration to her
· St. Francis de Sales, healed of depression through Mary’s intercession, wrote about her protection
· Bl. Solanus Casey, saved from drowning by Our Lady’s scapular, offered special devotions to her
· Archbishop Fulton Sheen offered Mass in Mary’s honor and relied on her love to remain celibate
· Fr. Patrick Peyton began the Family Rosary Crusade, attracting millions to pray the Rosary
· Mother Angelica, healed through Our Lady’s patronage, offered tips on how to pray the Rosary
· Sr. Clare Crockett wrote songs about Our Lady, who rescued her, and taught youth to love Mary
Fr. Joel Sember, author of Oriens: A Pilgrimage Through Advent and Christmas, mused, "Fr. Looney weaves careful research and personal anecdotes together into beautiful biographical portraits that are at once both broad and deep. Simple, accessible, and easy to read, but best savored slowly to appreciate the richness."
Whether you are learning about the powerful intercession of Our Lady for the first time, or have been devoted to her for years, this book will spur you on toward holiness. As Kevin Wells, author of The Priests we Need to Save the Church, reflected, "Our world needs mothering now, and Fr. Looney has dug up the holy graves of saints, mystics, Church Doctors, and Religious to bring us practical aid from the Queen of all mothers. This book will not leave you unchanged."
Members of the media may send an email to Sophia Institute Press’ Publicity Coordinator at kvanuden@SophiaInstitute.com to receive a physical or digital copy of How They Love Mary: Lessons I Learned from Holy Men and Women Along the Way or to schedule an interview with the author, Fr. Edward Looney.