After the Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe vs. Wade, all us pro lifers are beyond excited for this major step towards saving the lives of countless innocent babies. However, we all know this is just one step. The battle has intensified with social media blowing up, friends starting arguments, and tempers flaring.
The opposers are furious. Imagine being so upset that babies will live?! The arguments are outlandish to say the least. Seriously, I had a friend that thought this would lead to outlawing hysterectomies. Not even kidding. It’s crazy, but here are some more common arguments:
- You want to control women’s bodies!
- We want to save women, future women, and protect both mother and child.
- You want to invade our privacy!
- We want to support you and your child.
- Separation of Church and state! Keep your religion out of our laws!
- But… isn’t murder illegal?
- This is a backwards step! Coathook abortions will rise!
- Okay, that’s awful. Why would you threaten that? We want to promote healthy pregnancies and birth. No one is asking anyone to do such a thing.
- You want to stop same sex marriages.
- Completely different topic. This is about saving innocent lives of babies and supporting mothers. Stay on target here.
- Women will try to go out of state to have abortions.
- Or, hopefully, their states will support them and provide for them. Let’s make that the next battle, hmm?
- Sex out of wedlock is less safe now!
- You should now make men responsible for pregnancies and force them to pay child support.
- <crickets> … Yes, do go on.
The list goes on. I’ve snoozed several people in the last few days because I simply can’t keep seeing them on my feed. Their bird-flipping fallopian illustrations may be clever, but they’re missing the point. Sometimes we can argue, but sometimes we need to walk (or scroll) away from conflict.
This is a victory for now. Let’s praise and thank God for a major win in the Pro Life community. But our work is not done. Unless we change hearts, we will be living this battle for many generations to come. Take a breath. Survey the land, the arguments, and the hearts of all you can. Many mean well for those they feel are struggling. Many see this as a hurtful step. Can you help that person see? If so, try. If it’s too hot right now, personally, I might wait.
Continue to pray for peace, for life, for love. God bless.