Do you struggle with anxiety? If so, you are not alone. Anxiety is one of the most common mental health issues in the United States. But that doesn't mean you have to suffer alone. There are many things that you can do to help reduce your anxiety and find peace. One of those things is to use biblical affirmations for anxiety.
Now before we go further, I want to pause to say that anxiety is a real medical condition, and if you are really struggling with it, I encourage you to seek medical help. Whether that is through counseling, medication, or both, please do not feel that you have to get through it on your own or just try to "pray it away."
That being said, I do strongly believe in the power of prayer. God can work miracles in your life and He truly does heal the sick. He can also help you through the challenges of anxiety alongside other interventions. That's why I've collected 10 biblical affirmations for anxiety that can help you find peace.
(All of these verses are taken from the New American Bible, revised edition translation.)
1. "Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:6-7
This verse is a great reminder that we can take our anxiety to God in prayer. He wants to hear from us and He promises to give us peace in exchange for our anxiety. So the next time you're feeling anxious, take a few minutes to pray with this Bible verse and ask God for help.
2. "Cast all your worries upon him because he cares for you... The God of all grace who called you to his eternal glory through Christ Jesus will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you after you have suffered a little." - 1 Peter 5:7, 10
This verse again reminds us that we can give our anxieties to God. He is more than willing to take them from us and carry the burden for us. So if you're feeling overwhelmed by anxiety, know that you can give it to God and He will help you through it.
3. "Cast your care upon the LORD, who will give you support. He will never allow the righteous to stumble." - Psalm 55:23
If you're feeling anxious, know that you can give your burdens to God and He will take care of you. We can trust God to help us with our anxiety, and when we stumble he will pick us back up.
4. "The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom should I fear? The LORD is my life’s refuge; of whom should I be afraid?" - Psalm 27:1
This verse reminds us that with God on our side, we need not fear. He will protect us from all of the dangers in the world. He is our light and salvation; we can trust Him to help us through even our darkest times.
5. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff comfort me.- Psalm 23:4
Even though we may walk through dark times, this verse reminds us that God is always with us. He will comfort us and help us to get through whatever we are facing, no matter how big or small it may be.
6. "Be strong and steadfast; have no fear or dread of them, for it is the LORD, your God, who marches with you; he will never fail you or forsake you." - Deuteronomy? ?31:6??
This verse is a great reminder that we can be strong and courageous even when we are facing our fears. God is with us and He will never leave us or forsake us. So if you're feeling anxious, know that you can trust God to help you through it.
7. "When I am afraid, in you I place my trust. I praise the word of God; I trust in God, I do not fear... - Psalm? ?56:4-5??
It is so important to remind ourselves to place our trust in God, especially when we're struggling with anxiety. He is always there for us and He will help us to get through whatever we are facing in his timing.
8. “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat [or drink], or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you more important than they? Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span? - Matthew 6:25-27
This can be a hard one to remember when we’re in the midst of trying times, but we should not worry about the things of this world. God will take care of us and He knows what we need. We should focus on Him and trust that He will provide for us. We do not have to worry.
9. “Can any of you by worrying add a moment to your life-span? If even the smallest things are beyond your control, why are you anxious about the rest?” - Luke 12:25-26
Luke summarizes this sentiment even more concisely with a reminder that ultimately every single detail is within God’s control. No amount of worrying is going to change our situation. Instead, turn to him in prayer when you’re feeling anxious!
10. “May the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you.” - 2 Thessalonians 3:16
This verse is a beautiful reminder that God is the Lord of peace and He can give us peace in every situation. So if you're feeling anxious, know that you can ask God for peace and He will help you to find it.
These are just a few of the many verses that can help to encourage and comfort us when we are feeling anxious. If you're struggling with anxiety, I encourage you to pull out these verses and pray with them. Allow God's Word to speak to your heart and help you to find peace in the midst of your anxiety.
And don't forget, it's ok to ask for help from mental health professionals too. God gave us so many resources to use alongside the power of prayer. God Bless!