Fr. John G. Arintero, O.P. Stages in Prayer. Manchester, NH: Sophia Institute Press, 2022. Paperback $18.95. Ebook $9.99. Available from the publisher.
Works on mysticism often seem inaccessible. This spiritual classic, however, unveils ways to obtain extraordinary graces through “ordinary” prayer.
In Stages in Prayer, Fr. John G. Arintero, O.P., whose beatification process is underway, relates that all of us — regardless of our vocations — are called to intimate communion with God. Whether someone is a beginner or advanced in prayer, they will discover ways to open their hearts to the supernatural in mental prayer and meditation.
Fr. Arintero guides readers to become more Christ-like and enter His Paschal mystery. They will be spiritually nourished by the writings and examples of Saints Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross, Francis de Sales, and Thomas Aquinas, among many others. In page after page, readers will receive advice that is relevant to their lives such as:
- How to overcome apparent obstacles and distractions in prayer
- Ways to foster mental prayer
- What is meant by passive and active purgation
- Why we shouldn’t stop praying during times of dryness or desolation
- Why it is crucial to set goals to grow in virtue
- How fidelity to prayer and meditation predisposes the soul to contemplation
- The phenomena of mystical gifts such as locutions, raptures, ecstasies, and visions
- How to best approach spiritual direction in such cases as the director or directee
Additional tips are provided on receptivity to the fruits of the Holy Spirit and predisposing oneself to the gift of wisdom through prayer.
“All our good consists, then, in cleaving to God until we have become one spirit with him; in being truly docile and teachable towards him, never grieving his loving Spirit, not resisting, much less extinguishing the Spirit, or letting him call to us in vain; striving, on the contrary, to be very attentive to him, interiorly recollected that we may catch every sound of his voice, and desiring faithfully to accomplish that which the Lord our God deigns to speak within us, for he speaks words of peace to his saints and to all those who are converted to the heart.” (Fr. Arintero)
This book will help you become the saint that you were made to be.
Members of the media may send an email to Sophia Institute Press’ Director of Publicity, Sarah Lemieux at slemieux@SophiaInstitute.com to receive a physical or digital copy of Stages in Prayer, and/or to schedule an interview.