I’ve always had a fondness for the Magi, the wise men that sought and found Jesus by way of a star in the Epiphany story. In fact, a painting of them is above my prayer chair and frequently reminds me of the spiritual lessons I’ve learned from this story over the years:
- The Magi went out to seek Jesus. They left the comfort of their land and journeyed into uncertainty to find Him in a manager. What familiar places and comforts do I need to leave to seek and find Jesus?
- The Magi followed the guiding star to find Jesus. God guided them to Jesus by using a star to point the way. What “star” is pointing the way to Jesus in your life? Are you listening to God’s signs and wonders that point you in the direction of Jesus, and following them?
- The Magi brought and gave Jesus their treasured gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. What treasures, talents, and gifts do I feel prompted to give Jesus in the new year?
- The Magi paid Jesus homage and adored Him. Am I giving Jesus the time, prayer, praise, and adoration that He deserves?
- The Magi were not the same having encountered Christ, and followed a different way after. Sounds like the disciples of Jesus, doesn't it? Having known and encountered Christ in your own life, are you following the same path or a different path?
May we follow the ways of the Magi in the coming year to seek and find Jesus in our midst, and may it lead us to follow a different way... the way of Jesus.