Padre Pio has left us a legacy of spiritual quotes and sayings full of wonderful insights, much needed spiritual direction, and encouragement. Here are a few of them to ponder and take to prayer:
- "Tribulations and trials have always been the heritage and the portion of chosen souls. The more Jesus intends to raise a soul up to perfection, the more He tries it by suffering. Rejoice I say to you, in seeing yourself so privileged, in spite of your own unworthiness. The more you are afflicted, the more you ought to rejoice, because in the fire of tribulation, the soul will become pure of gold, worthy to be placed and to shine in the heavenly palace."
- "I understand that temptations seem to tarnish rather than purify the spirit, but let us hear what the saints have to say, and for that purpose it suffices to choose Saint Francis De Sales from among so many: 'Tempations are like soap, which, when spread over the clothes, seems to stain them, but in reality, purifies them.'"
- "Let us always keep before our eyes the fact that here on earth we are on a battlefield and that in paradise we shall receive the crown of victory; that this is a testing-ground and the prize will be awarded up above; that we are now in a land of exile while our true homeland is Heaven to which we must continually aspire."
- "The root of all evil is 'I', 'Me' , 'Mine'."
- "Always remain close to the Catholic Church, because it alone can give you true peace, since it alone possesses Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, the true Prince of Peace."
- "By suffering we are able to give something to God. The gift of pain, of suffering is a big thing and cannot be accomplished in Paradise."
"Today’s society does not pray. That is why it is falling apart."
"Prayer is the best weapon we possess, the key that opens the heart of God."
"Pray, hope and don't worry. Worry is useless. Our Merciful Lord will listen to your prayer."
"Endeavor to unite the simplicity of children with the prudence of adults."
- "In the spiritual life he who does not advance goes backward. It happens as with a boat which always must go ahead. If it stands still the wind will blow it back."