I’ve been developing a deep respect for the religious in our faith for some time now. Their faces are radiant with joy and love for God, and it inspires me to find what possesses their hearts so fully.
I didn’t encounter the joy of the religious until I was in my mid-twenties. I met a sister who was spunky, filled with passion for the Lord, and companioned young adults spiritually. From there on, God placed both religious and priests in my life who radiated something unique and special. I’ve been blessed to come to know them and be guided by them in different ways.
What I’ve learned from the religious:
- They made a conscious, radical choice to follow. They could have chose differently.
- They found that God truly is enough to fill all of their needs.
- They’ve rejected what the world has to offer in favor of the eternal.
- They have found joy and fulfillment in poverty, serving others, and building up God’s kingdom.
- They are obedient to the Father, going wherever he asks them to go. They do this out of love for Him.
- They are spiritual mothers and fathers … shepherding and walking with us on our faith journeys.
- They chose a broader love … a love that gives life to more and is freeing.
- They follow the narrow road - the difficult path, but are rewarded with deep peace.
I’m grateful that God has given us these examples of great faith. They are there to inspire us to seek what is eternal, be the face of the Church, and show us the meaning of following Jesus.
May more young men and women follow in their footsteps and find the hidden blessings of consecrated life.