Perhaps these three virtues are slightly easier to teach. Join me this Lent in not only praising the good behavior we see our children doing, but also to point out the virtues that they are showing when they choose to do good things.
Faith - Believe in God, Do God's Will, Works Through Charity. Be a witness of God's love.
- Ask Jesus to help us choose to do His will today.
- Noah, let's ask Jesus to help us choose to do His will today.
- Sarah, let's try to share God's love with others today.
- Aaron, Mommy caught you when you jumped. You had faith that Mommy would catch you. Mommy didn't have to tell you, but you knew. That is Faith. Faith in God is knowing that when we jump into His arms, when we follow Him, He will take care of us.
- Helping Others - create opportunities for this
- Sarah, Mommy needed help, and you helped her by putting away the dishes.
- Noah, you opened the door for Daddy when his hands were full. Thank you. You were helping. Helping others shows God's love. You showed God's love.
- Aaron, you helped your friend pick up his toys. Thank you for helping others. When you help others, you show God's love.
- Incorporating praise to God throughout our daily.
- Look at the birds and the trees! Thank you, God for creating nature, for creating animals that are so beautiful, for creating trees that grow so tall.
- Thank you, Jesus for this food. Thank you for all the hands that made it, especially the farmers.
- Praise the Lord for [child's] gift of life. Jesus, I love [child]. I love who You created him/her to be. - Do this for each member in your family, and for friends, and for those with whom were are growing in love or having a challenging time loving.
Hope - Heaven = Happiness - Our hearts are restless until we rest in Him
- Aaron, are you SO excited that we get to go to the beach? Aren't we going to have so much fun and so many adventures? Mommy feels so happy knowing we are going to play and have fun. Do you know what, Aaron? Do you know there's a place even more fun than the beach? Heaven. Heaven is where we will be in God's love forever and we will always be joyful.
- Heaven is where we were made to be, so Heaven is where we are going to be happiest.
- Sarah, I saw that you remembered your sacrifice today. You showed that you have hope that Heaven is the only place where you will have all the things you want and need.
- Noah, I know you feel sad about ______. You know, in Heaven, no one is sad, no one is sick, and no one is in pain. We might feel sad right now, but we know, Jesus wants us to be happy with Him forever in Heaven.
- Sarah, all of us will die someday. After we die, Jesus wants us to be with Him forever in Heaven. That's why he died on the cross, conquered death, and rose from the seat... so we can be with Him forever in Heaven. We have hope!
Love - Love God above all because He is God because He created me unique.
- John 15:9-10 "As the Father has love me, so I also love you. Remain in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and remain in His love."
- Aaron, who loves us more than anyone else in the world? Answer: Jesus!
- Sarah, why does Jesus love us so much? Answer: Because He made us.
- Noah, is there anyone else in all the world just like you? Answer: No. Not ever? Answer: No.
- Noah, how can we show God we love him with our time? Answer: Go to Mass!
- Aaron, what do we do in Mass to show God we love Him? Answer: We pray.
Grow in Grace and Virtue! Build those domestic churches!